Monday, December 26, 2011

2012 Healthier Me Challenge!

My 2012 Healthier Me Challenge: 

Healthy hair starts with a healthier lifestyle!   Progress must begin from the inside out!

This year will be all about detoxing and acquiring better eating habits.  At the beginning of every new year, my church participates in the Daniel Fast.  Our fast this year will be for 28 days starting January 1st.  We all fast for different reasons, but ultimately in the end the purpose is God gets all the glory.  If you are believing for something good to happen in your life, sacrificing and leaning on God is the best way to see your faith put to work.  It's a journey and you have to see the bigger picture in order to truly see the change you want to see.  There are many things I'm praying for God to do in my life.   But whatever it is that you want God to move, change, or bring into your life, prayer, trust, faith and action must be in the equation.

"In those days I, Daniel, was mourning three full weeks.  I ate no pleasant food, no meat or wine came into my mouth, nor did I anoint myself at all, till three whole weeks were fulfilled."
Daniel 10:2, 3

Fasting is an awesome experience that everyone should try.  It is definitely not for the faint at heart.  What are you willing to sacrifice to show honor to God?  What are some things that keep you from focusing on His purpose in your life?  Are you unhappy, unfulfilled, or are you craving for something more?  What are you expecting from God in 2012?  These are some questions to think about before embarking on this journey.  Setting aside your wants and focusing solely on what God wants from you is fasting.  It allows you to remove any and all distractions that keep you from spending those close, intimate moments with Him.  Are you waiting to hear from God about that promotion at work?  Fast and pray.  Do you need Him to intercede on a challenge you are facing right now?  Fast and pray.  Are you seeking something greater or something bigger like starting your own business, going back to school, or improving your finances?  Fast and pray.  How do I do that?  It first starts with what you are willing to sacrifice and being obedient to God's word.  That's totally up to you.  There is no right or wrong way of fasting.  How you do it is between you and God.

For me, it will start with my diet, among other things.  Our guilty pleasures are the first things that have to go; however, it may not be just food.  I'll be eliminating carbs, fried/processed foods, sweets, caffeine, alcohol, foods high in salt and sugar from my diet.  Greens, fruits, beans, protein based meats, nuts, and LOTS of water will be the name of the game for me.  I started drinking 64oz of water daily for the last week and I already can feel a big difference.   I'll be back in the kitchen cooking all my meals from scratch.   For the next 28 days, it's all about staying in prayer and fasting.  Trusting and believing that God is going to do exactly what He promises.  If you would like more information about fasting and would like to start on your own personal fasting journey, check out this website:  Daniel Fast.  There are awesome recipes to try that will keep you satisfied and feeling rejuvenated.


These two challenges support each other.  Healthier living leads to a happier, more fulfilling life.   We can't expect stellar results without putting forth the effort to be better from the inside out.  They go hand and hand!  I'm excited about this 2012 journey.  I'll be updating periodically with my works in progress and any goals achieved through both challenges.  I'm looking forward to the ride!  Let's go!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment